Our new website has launched, click here to visit.


Coega Development Corporation
 
Coega Special Economic Zone
 
Coega Services
 
Coega Driver Training Programme - 17 learners enrolled through Department of Labour - published 18 Aug 2022

Coega Driver Training Programme - 17 learners enrolled through Department of Labour

 

TRAINING IN ACTION: Coega Skills Development Centre Driving Simulator

 

 

Gqeberha, South Africa, 18 August 2022 - In a funding agreement with the Unemployment Insurance Fund through the Labour Activation Programme, to train 200 learners, the Coega Driver Training Programme has seen over 125 beneficiaries completing training, bringing the total to 142, inclusive of the recent enrolment of 17 learners through the Department of Labour.

“The aim of the Coega Driver Training Programme is to afford people who are currently unemployed and in possession of a valid driver’s license, an opportunity to acquire a nationally recognised qualification,” explains David Lambaatjeen, Coega Development Corporation (CDC) Skills Development Centre (SDC) Training Manager.

In line with the CDC’s vision to be the leading catalyst for the championing of socio-economic development, the SDC contributes to the alleviation of socio-economic challenges through skills development and ancillary services. Funding is a key enabler for the Coega SDC to execute its training mandate.

In terms of beneficiary criteria, all learners must be unemployed, registered with the Department of Labour, in possession of a valid driver’s license (codes 8, 10 or 14), and have no criminal record. The Department of Labour enrols 70% of the learners, while the CDC recruits the remaining 30% from the CDC Gateway 2 Opportunity Database (participants must be registered with the Department of Labour). Over and above the opportunity to acquire a National Certificate in Professional Driving (NQF Level 3, 122 credits), those who pass the course successfully are also better qualified upon their re-entry to the job market.

What differentiates this driver training programme from others is the learning model and use of technology infrastructure, which is incorporated in the driver simulated training. The programme also makes provision for transporting candidates for booking tests and vehicle hire, for testing of individuals at the traffic department.

The SDC , which also recently announced it has been granted accreditation by the Quality Council for Trade and Occupations (QCTO) for six new skills programmes, is located at the Coega Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in the Eastern Cape city of Gqeberha, with mobile capability to provide its services throughout rural and urban South Africa.

Home | Media Centre | Newsletter | Tenders | Link | Contact us | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2022 Coega Development Corporation (Pty) Ltd
Useful Links »